Sunday, August 18, 2013

"My Summer in Saudi Arabia" by GSU Arabic Club's President Matt Horne AKA Abdullah

I went on a study abroad trip to Riyadh, Saudi Arabia this summer. When I first arrived in Riyadh, it was around one a.m. and I was shocked at how hot it was at that time. It felt like a hair dryer being blown on me when the wind picked up. Although the weather was like that my whole trip, it wasn’t really bad a...t all. With temperatures averaging above 110 degrees, the lack of humidity made the heat very bearable. As we drove to our villa, I noticed immediately the immensity of the city and how bustling the streets were. The driving in Saudi Arabia differs
greatly from driving in the U.S. There seemed to be very few traffic laws and speed limits were nonexistent. To say that it was a fun experience every time we rode into Riyadh would be an understatement. I have never experienced hospitality like I did while I was in Saudi Arabia. Whether it was shopping at a store or walking in the street, people would give me food and drink on a daily basis. Normally, Saudis would provide us with dates, coffee, and tea whenever they could. My trip to Saudi Arabia was quite a unique experience. Saudis have the call to prayer several times
a day and it is played from the mosques, which are everywhere in Riyadh. Stores and restaurants close for business when the call begins and they open shortly after prayer is over. The way many
Saudis in Riyadh dressed was unlike our western style of dressing. The Saudi men typically wore a Thobe and Shumagh, which covers their heads. The women usually wore Abayas and some had veils covering their faces. The Arabic food I ate during my trip was delicious. I tried many different foods, including: pigeons, camels, and sheep’s head. I also got the opportunity to ride camels, horses,
and four wheelers while in the desert. Last but not least, I learned a great deal of the Arabic language during my time in Saudi Arabia. Most of the people I encountered could speak a little English but the majority of my conversations with Saudis were in Arabic. Being immersed in an environment where I was forced to speak Arabic in order to effectively communicate with locals truly helped me to expand my Arabic speaking abilities. My Arabic vocabulary grew
and I learned the Saudi dialect and other slang fairly quickly. By the end of my trip, I was astonished at how much more of the Arabic language I knew than when I first arrived in Saudi Arabia. I experienced a completely different culture and way of life while in Saudi Arabia and I would recommend anyone who is learning another language to study abroad if they have the opportunity.

No comments:

Post a Comment